Here are some ideas for writing exercises you can do to practice your English writing skills at home. Have fun!
Read these tips before you start:
- Make a short plan. (5 mins) Brainstorm ideas & vocabulary, think about the style of writing – is it formal or informal?
- Write! (it doesn’t matter how much you write, but try to focus just on writing for at least 20 minutes)
- Check your work, read through your writing, make any corrections or improvements. (10-20 mins) Look for: spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes, vocabulary – can you change your words to make them more interesting?
- You can also ask a partner or tutor to check your writing or read it out loud to practice your pronunciation.
The writing tasks:
- Write an email to a restaurant complaining about a meal you ate there last week. Describe the meal you had, why it was so bad, what do you want to happen now (eg. A refund, a formal apology)
- Write the opening to a story. Describe your main character- who they are, what they look like, where they live. Consider the genre of your story, do you want to write: a mystery, a romance, an action or a comedy story.
- Write a letter to your friend inviting them to your birthday party. You should include the details of the party and consider: is there a theme? Is there a dress code?
- Write a journal entry imagining you are on a trip you would like to go on in the future. You should describe what you did, what you saw, how you felt.
Do you have any more ideas for cool things to write about?
Let us know how you get on with these writing tasks – send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram 😉 @nativeenglishfast