Every Friday on our Instagram we post a word of the week – a word that you should know if you are learning English!
Here is a round up of all of the words we posted in June:
(Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for frequent updates!)
Week 1: BLINDSIDE
To completely surprise someone, usually negative
- “He blindsided her with the news that he was moving to the USA” ✈️
- “We want to blindside the enemy with a surprise attack”⚠️
- “That news blindsided me, I wasn’t expecting it at all”😲
Week 2: FAR-FLUNG
Remote or far away, or something that is distributed over great distances
- “I want to run away to a far-flung island”🏝️
- “We have a far-flung communication network so everyone can stay connected”💭
- “This rare animal can only be found in far-flung corners of the country that are usually deserted” 🐅
Week 3: SHEEPISH
PRONOUNCED [ shee·puhsh] (check out our video on IGTV!)
Showing embarrassment or shame
- “He looked sheepish after he was caught lying”😈
- “She walked onto the stage with a sheepish smile” 😳
- “He gave us a sheepish look” 🤭
Week 4: TAKE THE MICKEY / TAKE THE MICK
To mock or tease someone.
IMPORTANT: We take the mickey ~out of~ someone or something.
EXAMPLES: “They took the mickey out of his new haircut” “Stop taking the mick out of me! I’m trying my best.” “He looked so stupid, they couldn’t help but take the mickey out of him” “Don’t take the mickey!” 😅